Virtual Travel - Experience the world from your armchair
Posted 28/04/2020 : By: Melissa Brazier
With holidays on hold for the time being, us adventurers need to find new ways of travelling the world.
With that in mind we have compiled a list of our favourite virtual travel websites.
Relive a past holiday, research your next destination or take a visit to a gallery or museum with a nice cup of tea
– you don’t even need to leave your chair!
Castles & Palaces
Dream of being a King or a Queen for the day!
A private virtual tour of the former home of French royalty - Versailles
Visit a Royal home and fortress for over 900 years -Windsor Castle
Explore an iconic building and official residence of The Queen - Buckingham Palace
Tour the Queen's official residence in Scotland - the Palace of Holyroodhouse
Virtually hop over to Ireland and explore - Blarney Castle
Visit a One Traveller favourite - Prague Castle
Museums and Galleries
Take a trip through some of the world’s greatest collections on these virtual museum and gallery tours.
- Visit the world's largest indoor space - The British Museum
- View world famous masterworks from the Dutch Golden Age at the - Rijksmuseum
- Rest your feet with and take a virtual tour of the - Musee Dorsay Paris
- Enjoy a virtual ‘living museum’ at the Museum of modern Art - Moma The Museum Of Modern Art
- Avoid the crowds and view the wonders of the - Louvre
- The Getty Museum may be temporarily closed but you can still enjoy it - Getty Museum
- Walk around the Vatican with no one else around - Vatican
- Enjoy a virtual tour of the world famous - Guggenheim
- Immerse yourself in Renaissance masterpieces from Northern Italy, the Netherlands and Germany at the London - National Gallery
- Whisk yourself to South Korea and the fabulous National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art - National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art
Virtual Travel Experiences
Whisk yourself away to your dream destination...
- Keukenhof, one of the most beautiful spring gardens in the world may be closed just now but they decided to bring Keukenhof to you! Watch 360 videos and interviews with key members. Find out more here.
- Just because you can't be in Nashville right now doesn't mean you can't pretend! From livestreamed home concerts and virtual attractions to Music City documentaries and a virtual trip idea, Nashville Music City are bringing Nashville to you. Find out more here.
- The National Trust have published a number of virtual tours of their properties. You can admire the flowers in Anglesey Abbey, visit the Giants causeway or explore Wicken mill. Find out more here.
- Travel magazine and website Wanderlust have put together a number of great immersive virtual travel experiences covering South America, Africa and North America.
Virtually visit Chichen Itza, Iguazu Falls and more here
Virtually discover New Yorks Galleries, Mount Rushmore and more here
Virtually explore Cape Town, Marrekech Market and more here
- The German National Tourist Office has created an entire microsite dedicated to exploring the country from your home. It includes virtual attractions, recipes, quizzes and music - #DiscoverGermanyFromHome
- The virtual gates are opening for a day at Chester Zoo. Since you can't currently visit the zoo, the team at Chester are bringing the zoo to you. Join the keepers on Facebook for a virtual tour of the zoo and a whole day of animal antics, fun facts and exclusive behind the scenes knowledge from their amazing team. Find out more here: Virtual zoo day
- Spend a day in Jerusalem - Jerusalem - 360 Virtual Tour
- Search for any place in the world to view 360 photos and videos - AirPano
- Discover the world with Google Maps - Google Maps
- Look around Angkor as if you were there yourself - Virtual Angkor
- Visit one of the 7 wonders of the world with a guide! Machu Picchu - Machu Picchu Virtual Tour
- Take a closer look at the Taj Mahal - Taj Mahal Virtual Tour
- Float Along the Great Wall of China - Great Wall of China - Virtual Tour
- Vietnam at a glance - Vietnam Virtual Tour
- Take a walk around Central Park, New York - Central Park Virtual Tour
- Our good friend Pepe Martinez, London guide on some of our previous holidays is a London Blue Badge Tourist Guide, his Instagram page is dedicated to London offering bespoke local experiences and the hidden wonders of the capital that few realise are there. His effervescent personality and passion for London shines through on his live videos. Follow his Instagram page on a Sunday evening called “Pepe’s London Chit Chat”. Each week he talks about different parts of London Culture. You can view his Instagram page and watch him live on Sundays here: https://www.instagram.com/londontourguidepepe/
For more inspiration why not visit our YouTube channel One Traveller YouTube Channel