Post: #21 16-02-2019, 05:54 PM / RE: Vietnam & Cambodia: 28th Feb 2019

Hello Patrick,
Thanks for the posts on this thread, including the tips from your son & his girlfriend. Looking forward to some of that ‘dogma’ you mentioned (not really). Actually, I am looking forward to the street food, after discovering deep-fried insects in Thailand, which were surprisingly yummy. Our local guide got a selection from a stall-holder on our tour of the street market just to show us and was a bit taken aback when we all started tucking in, having expected the opposite reaction; his face was a picture.
Look forward to meeting you at The Radisson.
Roger C

Post: #22 16-02-2019, 05:55 PM / RE: Vietnam & Cambodia: 28th Feb 2019

Hello Susan D,
Thanks for replying to my initial post on this thread. Have to admit that I didn’t look at it for a few months a I was focused on a trip to Uzbekistan with Saga. It turned out to be a very interesting place but there were significant issues with our transport; seven of us crammed in a small minibus for 10 days. Not up to the expected standard.
Look forward to meeting you at The Radisson.
Roger C

Post: #23 16-02-2019, 05:57 PM / RE: Vietnam & Cambodia: 28th Feb 2019

Hello karendee
Thanks for getting in touch on the forum. On 16th Jan you asked ” I really want to see everything and wondered if there was anything not on the agenda that you think may be worth seeing? ” I’ve not been to either of these countries before, so have no prior experience or recommendations. I think the One Traveller itinerary is likely to be pretty comprehensive, based on my experience with them in Thailand when we visited the Thai-Burma railway (as in ‘The Bridge on the River Kwai’). A friend of mine did this Vietnam-Cambodia trip with OT in November and had nothing but praise for it. I think we will be covering The Killing Fields; see my reply to Gill.
Look forward to meeting you.
Roger C

Post: #24 16-02-2019, 05:59 PM / RE: Vietnam & Cambodia: 28th Feb 2019

Hi Gill
I saw your post of 2nd Feb mentioning the Lotte Centre in Hanoi, which I had not heard of. Having now looked it up, I gather there is a spectacular observation deck on the 65th floor, so I’d be up for that during some of our free time (pm, Day 3), if David Crawford has not already got it included at some point.

As for visiting The Killing Fields, they say that the best known monument is in the memorial park at Choeung Ek. This is only about five miles south of where we are staying in Phnom Penh, so could be accessible either after, or instead of, the optional afternoon visit on Day 16 to the Tuol Seng Genocide Museum (also known as S21). I think the sights in the museum will be pretty grim, to say the least, so a visit to a memorial park could be welcome afterwards. Wiki also says ‘The memorial park at Choeung Ek has been built around the mass graves of many thousands of victims, most of whom were executed after interrogation at the S-21 Prison in Phnom Penh’. It will be a moment to contemplate the more unpleasant sides of humanity.
Look forward to meeting you.
Roger C

Post: #25 17-02-2019, 11:30 AM / RE: Vietnam & Cambodia: 28th Feb 2019

Hi Susan

Hope your Black eye improves quickly, if not your have to raid the make up counter .

Getting close now ! excited but a tad scared ? being my first solo trip.
I am going to have to be ruthless with my packing ha ha !!
Just reading through the itinerary it’s pretty full on and sounds very organised .

Can’t wait .

Post: #26 Yesterday, 10:19 AM / RE: Vietnam & Cambodia: 28th Feb 2019

Hi

I have just finished a most amazing book. Catfish and Mandala, by Andrew x Pham. Not that there is much time to read now we are nearly ready to leave, but I would recommend it.

Andrew (An) escaped from Vietnam as an 8 yer old in 1975, on a fishing boat. This story chronicles his experiences of being bought up in America and traces his journey to make sense of what happened and to get back in touch with Vietnam. I was riveted from start to finish and learned a great deal about the history and its implications.

Looking forward to getting the packing finished, the journey started
and meeting the group.

Lesley