China and the Harbin Ice Lantern Festival
We are extremely excited to introduce a special opportunity to visit China in the wintertime with the star of the show being Harbin’s spectacular Ice Lantern Festival. This trip also takes in Beijing, Xi’An and Shanghai where at this time of the year there will be a distinct lack of crowds and a more up close personal experience.
The Harbin Ice Lantern Festival: started in 1963 with just a small park, but since 1999 has expanded to cover an entire island in the Songhua River and is now the world’s largest snow and ice festival. The inspiration is taken from Chinese poetry, legends, history and recently the monuments and famous buildings of the world which include life-size Egyptian pyramids, German fairy tale castles and horse drawn sleds. The park is surrounded by a great Wall of ice and it is estimated that over 5 million lights are used and the city utilizes thousands of people for a month to create the structures.
You have a choice of departure dates
You have a choice of departure airports
Departure airport: Heathrow Airport
Airline: British Airways
Length of flight: 9 hrs 40 mins
Approximate flight departure time: 16.35
Approximate return flight arrival time: 15.10
Regional flights with British Airways which can cost as little as £85 return are available to Heathrow from the following airports:
- Aberdeen,Belfast,Cork,Edinburgh, Dublin, Glasgow, Leeds Bradford, Manchester, Newcastle upon Tyne, Shannon
One Traveller is a British Airways appointed Operator.
- Direct return flights to Beijing with British Airways
- All internal flights (4 in total)
- All transportation as detailed in the itinerary
- Luxury four-star hotels throughout your holiday
- Hotel porterage
- Hosted welcome drinks reception
- All meals in China (with a drink included at every lunch and evening meal)
- Special Peking Duck dinner
- All excursions as detailed in the itinerary
- Journey on Magnetic Levitation train in Shanghai
- Entrances to snow sculptures and both Ice World Parks in Harbin
- Visit to Siberian Tiger Park
- Hosted a la carte farewell dinner
- Exclusive services of a One Traveller Tour Manager
- Services of a local English-speaking guide in each city
- All UK and overseas airport taxes and security charges
What's NOT included?
- Holiday Insurance (you need to arrange your own but we can help). Click here for more details.
Chinese Visa (£95.00). We will obtain a China Visa for you (unless you tell us otherwise) using the information supplied at the time of booking. Please note that if flying on a regional connecting flight it will be necessary for us to obtain an individual visa rather than a group visa. As part of this application process we will require your passport up to 6 weeks before departure. The cost of the visa will be added to your confirmation invoice at the time of booking. Please note that your passport must be valid for at least 6 months after the date of your return.
Your passport must be valid for at least 6 months after the return date of the holiday.
Weather and clothing advisory
In Beijing and Xian temperatures can get to around freezing, Shanghai will see milder temperatures of up to 10 degrees celsius. In these cities at this time of year you will be rewarded with a distinct lack of crowds and have a more personal experience at all the major sights. Harbin will see sub zero temperatures. It is perfect photography weather with clear blue crisp skies which set the snow sculptures off perfectly. Thermal clothing, layers, shoes or boots with good grip for icy surfaces and headwear with a covering for ears nose and mouth are an absolute must.
Please visit our Hotels page.
The itinerary for this holiday can be viewed here.